Missions of the CSCA
The missions assigned to the CSCA are :
Assessment and advice
- Advises His Majesty the King, the Government and Parliament on any question that could be submitted to it and related to the audio-visual communication sector.
- Recommends to His Majesty the King personalities whose nomination concerns His Majesty on the basis of the public functions or employment that they must exercise as head of public organizations intervening in the audio-visual field.
- Gives obligatorily advice to the Prime Minister on the projects of bills or decrees concerning the audio-visual communication sector, before their presentation to the Government.
- Gives obligatorily advice to the presidents of both Parliament chambers on the private bills relating to the audio-visual communication before their examination by the concerned chamber.
- Proposes to the government any measures, especially legal, capable to allow the respect of the principles stated in the preamble and provisions of the Dahir that sets it up.
- Suggests to the government the changes of legislative and statutory nature, made necessary by the technological, economic, social and cultural development of the audio-visual sector activities.
- Gives advice to the judiciary authority, which makes the request, on the claims based on the violations of the legislation or regulations relative to the audio-visual communication sector.
- Investigates the requests and authorizes the creation and exploitation of the audio-visual communication companies.
- Grants the licenses and accreditations for the use of the radio frequencies assigned to the audio-visual communication sector.
- Approves the specifications of the public operators.
- Enacts the modalities for the accreditation applications and conditions of their issue.
- Sets the forms, modes, support and frequency of the information transmission which must be respected by the audio-visual communication companies.
- Enacts the standards of legal or technical nature applicable to audience measurement.
- Sets up the necessary rules for the respect of the pluralist expression of the thought and opinion trends and of the equity in the "access to air" during election campaigns (in the absence of legislative provisions or regulations).
Control and penalties
- Monitors the compliance by all concerned powers or bodies to the laws and regulations applicable to the audio-visual communication.
- Controls the compliance by the audio-visual communication operators to the principles and rules applicable to the sector and to the contents of the specifications.
- Monitors the compliance to the pluralist expression of the thought and opinion trends, in particular in the matter of political information.
- Monitors the compliance by the audio-visual communication organisations to the advertising legislation and regulation. It controls the programming methods of advertising by the operators.
- Receives and investigates complaints relating to violations of the laws or regulations applicable to the sector or to damages resulting from the broadcasting of information obviously against the truth or loss of reputation.
- Punishes for infringements made by audio-visual communication organisations or advise the concerned authorities about the incurred penalties.